Erectile dysfunction is defined as a man’s impossibility of getting or maintaining an erection during the sexual act. It is quite common for men to have this problem at some point in their lives.
The scenario becomes complicated when it starts to happen repeatedly. In many cases, it becomes almost impossible to be able to establish a sexual relationship.
There are many reasons behind this disorder, blood flow could not be adequate or there are affected nerves of the penis area. It can also be caused by some emotional disorder. Obesity and poor circulation often cause it, as well as the consumption of alcohol, tobacco or drugs. Detecting and treating the cause of your erectile dysfunction can help your overall health and well-being.
What causes an erectile dysfunction?
As long as there’s not sexual stimulation, your penis is flaccid. During this sexual stimulation or libido, there are nerves that send signals to blood flow towards the penis through the use of certain chemical substances. Blood flows towards two chambers made of a spongy tissue. This blood pressure enters these chambers and makes the penis firm, achieving an erection. After having an orgasm, blood flows out of the chambers and the erection disappears.
What are the symptoms of erectile dysfunction?
The most obvious symptom is the inability of achieving or maintaining a firm erection during the sexual act. Most men have problems from time to time with erections, but in some men, it is a regular and an annoying problem. Erectile dysfunction can cause low self-esteem, stress, and depression. It can also affect your marriage or intimate relationships. Erectile dysfunction can be the result of emotional or health problems or both. Having a low blood flow or nerves damage can also lead to erection problems.
Some circumstances that can increase the chances of suffering from erectile dysfunction are:
- Being more than 50 years old
- Low levels of testosterone (Usually solved with a testosterone booster like Rx24 or TestoUltra are popular in this area)
- High blood sugar levels
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol levels
- Heart conditions
- Excessive drug or alcohol consumption
- Lack of exercise
Although erectile dysfunction becomes more common as men age, getting older is still not the main cause of the problem. For this reason, it may be an early sign of a more serious health problem.
Erectile dysfunction is due to any of the following factors:
- Not enough blood flowing to the penis
- Health problems like heart conditions, high blood sugar levels or problems derived from smoking can restrain penis blood flow.
- The penis cannot storage blood during an erection, a man suffering from this problem won’t be able to keep an erection due to the impossibility of keeping blood flow to the penis. This circumstance is likely to happen to any man at any time.
- Nerves signals coming from the brain or from the spine are not reaching the penis.